Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 12, 2010

Re-Thinking Social Media.

I just started blogging…and social media has been an early target for me. I have a hard time understanding the relevancy of self-promotion and self-branding. Pompous, Arrogant, and Selfish…timewaster... are still top of mind. However, this week I had a few experiences that are giving me a new perspective. Hey…I am not jumping ship here, only making an observation, MAYBE there is some VALUE to social media.

I regularly read Erin Schreyer’s blog http://sagestone.wordpress.com she is enthusiastic about what she does, passionate about sharing success and as far as I can tell…authentic. Never met her…which since I have never met her… how can I…..getting side tracked. (Reference my past blast on you can’t formulate an opinion on someone via social media)

What Erin shared in her latest blog was fascinating to me. As much as I joke and criticize those who choose to tweet their lives away…she found a motivational tool. She tells a great story of taking a 100 mile cycling challenge! Quite a feet, and along the way she thought it would be cool to share her experience with her twitter nation.

What she got was totally unexpected…she received something powerful…tweets and re-tweets! At a point in her journey when she thought it was over…couldn’t find motivation to finish, and her legs shot…who’d of thunk it….twittering. Her nation bombarded her with notes of encouragement and motivation, she easily finished the race.

Another experience that has me waffling was at a luncheon that highlighted a company re-inventing themselves. Not uncommon in the business world and these stories are always fascinating to me. Here we have a travel company whose business was in a serious downturn, they sold high-end vacation incentive packages to fortune 500 companies…suits…conservative type business folk. Cutting exotic incentive trips in today’s economic climate...easy decision for them.

In a few weeks you will be hearing about www.ZipSetGo.com . The travel industry may not be the same after this hits. They are taking advantage of their expertise in the travel industry and delivering it to the masses via blogs, tweets and postings. You can get as much information as you need about any place you desire, no pretty brochures or canned videos, but real information from people who are there!

They have hired people to travel the world, keeping us up to date on everything from hiking, bungee jumping, dining, hotels, museums and beaches. Without giving too much away, can you imagine following someone on twitter that is traveling to a destination you might be considering! How cool is that.
There was no surprise when someone from the audience asks…”How do I get that job!”

They have put together a great team, innovative platform, and have a clear vision…they are launching in October. I smell a success story…social media included.

No comments:

Post a Comment