Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Why twitter works...against you.


Again I have to give credit to my co-worker on this one.  He shared a tweet this week that really sums up where twitter is heading.  

Some of you might have heard the story about an over weight Hollywood executive that got kicked off of a plane for taking up too much room.  Unfortunately the airline didn't realize that this passenger had more than a million followers on twitter!  He proceeded for the next few hours to just punish the airline with his humorous anecdotes on his experience.

There is an obvious lesson here, right...something about watch what you say, or write...or post...or god forbid tweet!

Even though my trip to the bookstore has seemingly validated my new fascination with twitter.  "Twitterville", "The twitter book", "Twitter for dummies", "Twitter in 10 minutes" & "Twitter Tips" are just a few of the titles that have made there way onto the shelves in the last 7 days.  I have some concerns about me & twitter.  I realize in our new found relationship we will hit peaks and valleys, good days and bad, maybe even break up a time or two.

I need to work on managing my expectations anyway.

Seriously...what if people don't like me or what I say, or wirte...or post...or tweet.  What if I say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing, wear the wrong thing, parent the wrong way, husband the wrong way, or post something that just offends someone...or worse piss off someone with a gagillion followers.

How long until my kids are tweeting about what an awful parent I am...with two (2) in junior high I am accused of this often.

Are we now in such a social revolution that your reputation is based more on how your write, blog, tweet and post.  Does your twitter following carry more weight than a personal reputation?  Concerning...it takes a lifetime to build ones integrity, only to be shattered by twitters voice.  I am cautiously pressing on with you twitter...

No comments:

Post a Comment