Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fashion First?

I dated a girl once that always believed in Fashion First. It was pretty cool too, at least the first few weeks. I thought it was great she always wanted to look "hot" or "sexy"...it felt good with her on my arm. I thought I was pretty cool having a woman, 8 years younger, all gussied up and hangin' with me. Unfortunately I found out quickly she wasn't about me...it was all about promoting herself. She was always prepared for whomever she may encounter. Luckily for me I bailed. She was married twice before and has been married twice since and that was 3 years ago. One of the few good decisions I have made.

In a few months the freshness of facebook and twitter will be lost in their own media mockery. I see consultants everywhere pushing social media conferences and training sessions...How your company will benefit from facebook? Why you need to use twitter to promote your business? C’mon isn’t your facebook a long list of soccer updates, mommy meet-ups and family vacation photos. Don't get me wrong I love the novelty of it all. I spend a few minutes each day sifting through post and catching up on friends and family news…which is exactly what it should be.

I think most people are average Joe's just like me. I have a family, friends and a company that provides me a paycheck... and all with dreams, ideas and priorities. Their goals and aspiration's are just as important, if not more important, than mine. I hope as we go through this latest trend that we don't forget the people that support us. This is the root of my frustration with social media. It seems we are becoming obsessed with instant self-promotion and having to feel as though our lives are so important and fulfilling that everyone should follow it.


Unfortunately this has become an endless supply of noise that only a few have the time to muddle trough. If I am a business owner or manager...I pull the plug. Save that stuff for your own time in your home office. As a business community we need to focus on the basics...teach our people to be responsible and promote value and service, dig deep to find what makes your company unique...and guess what...having a facebook or twitter is not the answer to more sales... is just makes you fashionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment